Living with an enlarged prostate can inhibit a man’s ability to enjoy his life, and CBD oil may be able to alleviate symptoms and work on the problem. When people look forward to their future, it is with the hope that it will be filled with whatever makes them happy, from time with their families to travels to interesting places. Enlarged prostates are usually benign and referred to as BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia). Living with an enlarged prostate interferes with being able to go out to dinner and travel peacefully with the pain and unpredictability involved. Many who would like to avoid taking any or more pills in their regimen and are looking for an all-natural alternative to surgeries and prescription medications will love the results they find with the use of organic CBD oil.
What is the prostate gland?
The prostate gland is part of the reproductive system in the male body. It sits near the bladder and wraps around the urethra, about the size of a walnut, growing larger with age. A normally functioning prostate secretes fluid that provides nutrients to sperm and protects it. The prostate squeezes the fluid into the urethra during ejaculation.
What are the most common enlarged prostate issues?
- BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia)
- Affects more than three million men a year and is not considered a precursor to prostate cancer. It’s so common that many medical personnel expect every male to experience it if they live long enough. More than 90% of men over 80 have the issue.
- Acute and chronic bacterial prostatitis
- Typically starts with a bacterial infection and is accompanied by fever, chills, or pain. Antibiotics can will help. Chronic will return repeatedly but is rare. It is harder to treat when it’s chronic.
- Chronic prostatitis (non-bacterial)
- Also known as Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome (CPPS) that results in pain in the lower back, groin, and tip of the penis. A combination of medicines, surgery, and lifestyle changes may help, but treatment is difficult.
- Prostate cancer (diagnosed with biopsy)
- Not all prostate cancers are life-threatening, so not all doctors perform PSA testing, which is a blood test that can detect cancer. It can give false positives due to infections and other issues. Surgery, medications, radiation, and hormone therapy can help.
What are the symptoms of an enlarged prostate?
The causes of an enlarged prostate are not discernible; however, higher testosterone levels and changes in the testicle’s cells as a man ages have been found in those with BPH. Living with the pain of an enlarged prostate can also be accompanied by other symptoms, that include:
- Pain or burning while urinating
- Dribbling urine
- Frequent urination
- Blood in the urine and/or semen
- Painful ejaculation
- Lack of ability to urinate
- Pain and stiffness in pelvis, lower back, hips, rectal area, or upper thighs
How is diagnosis and treatment of an enlarged prostate performed?
It’s important for those who feel as if they are experiencing symptoms that could point to them having an enlarged prostate to visit the doctor. Initial testing will include:
- Rectal exam
- PSA levels (prostate-specific antigen)
Common treatments start with simply sitting back and watching the problem in the beginning, only proceeding with more advanced treatments if it continues to grow, such as:
- Some drugs reduce the amount of inflammation causing the prostate to shrink. It also relaxes the muscles around the prostate to help relieve the symptoms. Accompanied by side effects that include dizziness, fainting, headaches, lightheadedness, and low blood pressure.
- This is a last resort but can help urine flow when medications do not work.
- Radio waves, microwaves, or lasers treat urinary issues. The heat reduces the extra prostate tissue. All-natural remedies can include certain nutritional supplements, dietary changes, and CBD oil.
What is CBD oil?
The cannabis plant contains over 200 cannabinoids that includes a mixture of terpenes, CBD (cannabidiol), and THC (producing the psychoactive affects). THC-saturated products have only been legalized for certain disorders and each state varies in its allowances. CBD that contains under 0.3% THC is considered legal in the United States and has shown to work in the endocannabinoid system (the ECS that is in every animal) the same way that the naturally occurring endocannabinoids do. The ECS is responsible for the balancing of many of the body’s functions, from reproductive to digestive.
How does CBD oil affect an enlarged prostate?
CBD (cannabidiol) has proven its effectiveness against such disorders that are included in the families of pain, epilepsy, anxiety, and so many other mental and physical health issues. While research is limited as to its efficacy regarding an enlarged prostate, it works even on the pain and inflammation that accompany it. CBD oil focuses on the receptors in the area that is being affected by the inflammation. Some research indicates that the use of CBD oil may inhibit testosterone production, which is perfect in these cases since BPH has been linked to increase production of this hormone.
Numerous studies over the years, regardless of what they were for, have pinpointed that CBD is highly effective for relieving chronic pain in adults. CBD oil has also been found to provide antibacterial properties, which are beneficial in the cases where the enlarged prostate is caused by prostatitis due to UTIs or sexually transmitted diseases. Those facing prostate cancer may also not just find relief of their pain and inflammation with the use of CBD oils, but an increasing amount of studies have shown that CBD is highly effective at reducing the number of prostate cancer cells in the body. While it won’t cure cancer, it may help prevent and provide treatment.
With the reproductive system being one of the major functions that is regulated by the endocannabinoid system, it may need help from time to time. That help is provided by the use of CBD oils and the cannabinoids that they provide. Anyone looking for an all-natural alternative to or addition to a regimen already in place will love the benefits that they find when they ingest or apply CBD oil. Knowing how to choose an organic CBD product is key to taking full advantage of the positive affects that they can find, which include the relief of pain and inflammation, as well as possible reducing cancer cells and providing antibacterial properties.