Hair loss, or alopecia, is common in men but can happen to anyone. CBD oil can help prevent or reduce hair loss, as well as possibly providing the benefit of helping it grow and return an individual to a glorious, full head of hair. Whether someone is experiencing early onset hair loss after they noticed it on the maternal side of their family or another has recently started a new prescription medication that causes hair loss as a side effect, organic CBD oil can help combat those effects. While some people shave their head and don’t even notice that have alopecia, many have always felt more confident with a full head of hair. Knowing how to manage a life with hair loss and how to help it grow back can be possible with the administration of CBD oil in one’s daily routine.
What causes hair loss?
Hair loss, or alopecia, is one of the most common issues treated. Some find this an inconvenience as they age; however, those who are experiencing it uncharacteristically may want to go to the doctor to determine if there is an underlying cause that should be treated. Hair loss is not contagious, however, the diseases that may cause it can be. Hair loss can occur for numerous reasons ranging from something harmless but unavoidable to a serious illness. Some of these can include:
- Hereditary is the most common (male- and female-pattern baldness is called androgenetic alopecia)
- Recent operation
- birth of a child
- high fever
- Hair pulled too tight for hairstyles
- Alopecia areata – body attacks own follicles and can happen anywhere on the body
- Hyperthyroidism and other hormonal changes
This is, by no means, the extent of reasons for alopecia, but determining what the cause is will be key to finding the treatment that will work best in solving the problem when someone notices that they are losing large clumps of hair. Tests that the doctor may suggest may include:
- Blood test – to discover underlying conditions
- Pull test – the doctor pulls on the hair to see how much comes to determine what stage of hair loss is being experienced.
- Scalp biopsy – skin samples are scraped from the affected area to see if an infection is the cause.
- Light microscopy – a specific instrument examines the hair trimmed at the bases to see if disorder of the hair shaft is to blame.
Many experience anxiety when they do not know exactly why their hair loss is occurring, which can lead to depression. These very real issues can be addressed by talking to someone who is trusted and with the administration of CBD oil, which provides a calming effect.
What treatments help induce hair growth?
Propecia, Avodart, Carospir, and Aldactone are prescription medication that helps hair to grow, but there are topical treatments and all-natural ones. It isn’t an easy decision and is based on weighing the risks and rewards compared to how bad someone wants their hair back. Things to consider when making this decision include:
- Propecia is available for men only.
- Regrown hair will fall out if the medication is discontinued
- Taking them may slow hair loss and cause regrowth but is may not come back as abundant as before
- It can be costly, and insurance has been known not to cover it
- The side effects may or may not outweigh the benefits, which can include:
- Loss of libido and impotence
- Swelling in hands and feet
- Breast swelling or tenderness
- Skin rash
- Runny nose
The sexual side effects may continue after cessation of taking the drug so careful consideration for the sexually active is important. Other treatments may be worth consideration before committing to the possibility of extreme side effects. These include:
- Minoxidil (Rogaine)
- This over-the-counter (OTC) liquid, foam, or shampoo will cause the best results when applied to the scalp for at least six months once or twice a day. Stopping the application may lead to the affects going away.
- Hair transplants are an option when the hair loss is only on the scalp. Surgeons remove hair from a section of the scalp in which it is growing and grafts it to the affected area. Sometimes larger sections are moved. This method has been found to be painful.
- Laser therapy
- Studies have shown low-level lasers to improve hair density although more are needed to show long-term effects.
- CBD shampoo
- This is an effective method for people who want to apply CBD daily.
How does CBD oil help hair loss?
Cannabis evokes a variety of responses for those who hear about it. Some individuals don’t realize that cannabinoids from the cannabis plant have been used medically for thousands of years and has only been declared illegal since the 1930s. With continuous research over the past few decades, CBD oil that contains less than 0.3% THC will not cause the psychoactive effects for which it is sometimes believed to cause. CBD is extracted from the matrix of the cannabis plant and is the second most abundant cannabinoid, next to THC. CBD oil can help suppress inflammation and create a healthier environment for the scalp to allow hair to grow back.
How does CBD affect the body?
Every vertebrate has an ECS, or endocannabinoid system, which arguably provides one of the most important functions in the body. It is responsible or the creation and maintenance of functions throughout the body — including temperature, mood, appetite, anxiety, inflammation, pain, reproduction, and so much more. It may not only help promote hair growth but has been proven to help alleviate the anxiety and depression that may accompany hair loss. CBD contains over 21 amino acids, the building blocks of protein, so it can also help strengthen hair made of protein and reduce dryness, which is also a side effect of age, overuse of styling products, and certain medications. It’s also known to be high in antioxidants, such as Vitamin A, E, and C, which can protect the hair from free radicals caused by external factors that can damage the hair. Another way that CBD oil assists is keeping the hair from persistent itching, which can be a side effect from seasonal changes, as well as other health issues. CBD oil also contains fatty acids that lock in moisture, seal the cuticle, and are absorbed by the scalp to stimulate hair growth.
Anyone who is suffering from hair loss and is searching for all-natural ways to promote hair growth so that they don’t need to tolerate unwanted side effects from prescription or OTC medications may find the solution to all their problems with the use of CBD oil. Some people are fine with losing their hair, but others want to look in the mirror only to see that long, lustrous, and thick hair that they used to have. The increase in blood circulation, infusion of nutrients directly on the affected area, inflammation suppression, and improved lubrication of the sebaceous glands are only a few of the possible reactions that may be noted when someone uses any form of organic CBD oil to fight their hair loss, no matter the reason, and promote hair growth to regain control of their looks.