Arthritis is common as people age, and CBD oil addresses the symptoms that present themselves with this malady, like pain and inflammation. We will discuss how CBD oil is the perfect solution for someone looking for all-natural alternatives that allow them to live a functional life. Harsh drugs prescribed by physicians can be accompanied by negative side effects that cause excessive discomfort. However, if one is already in pain, it may be difficult to distinguish the difference. These problems can typically be reduced in severity or completely eliminated when an arthritis sufferer chooses to employ the use of CBD oils.
What exactly is arthritis?
Arthritis is inflammation of any area where bone meets bone. It can occur in any location in the body. Someone who experiences back pain that wasn’t caused by an apparent injury usually finds that they have some form of spinal arthritis. It’s most commonly found in the neck and lower back, creating sensations of pain and stiffness. Normal wear and tear is generally the culprit to osteoarthritis; however, autoimmune diseases can also cause arthritic problems. Thin layers of cartilage cover the surfaces of healthy bones, and they are lubricated for ease of movement. Arthritis occurs when the cartilage becomes damaged or naturally deteriorates, causing the bones to rub against each other instead of gliding smoothly. This causes further damage and new bone is formed around the joint in the form of bone spurs to protect the damaged cartilage, creating more pain and stiffness. There is no cure and it can even cause the vertebrae to fuse together. Risk factors for developing arthritis include:
- Excess weight/obesity
- Presence of certain illnesses that include diabetes, gout, psoriasis, TB, IBS, and Lyme disease
What are types of arthritis?
- This is the most common form, developing with age. It usually affects the lower back and is more noticeable during movement since it is a mechanical injury. It can be inflammatory or degenerative.
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- This autoimmune disorder results from the body forming antibodies to attack its own cells. This is considered inflammatory.
- A group of inflammatory diseases that affects the joints and its surrounding ligaments and tendons.
What are the symptoms of arthritis?
Individuals’ bodies respond in various ways to any form of deterioration or disease but there are common ways to diagnose arthritis. Symptoms include:
- Back and neck pain
- Loss of flexibility of stiffness (inability to turn neck of straighten back)
- Swelling and tenderness
- A grinding feeling during movement
- Weakness and fatigue throughout the entire body (inflammatory mainly)
- Swelling, pain, and stiffness in other areas as well (inflammatory mainly)
- Pain and numbness if nerves are involved
Diagnosing arthritis and side effects of treatments.
Pain may be felt before any tests can confirm someone has arthritis, so it may take time to find the cause of the irritation. Doctors will perform a variety tests — including:
- X-rays of the spine
- blood tests for genetic markers and/or RA (rheumatoid arthritis) antibodies
- CT scan
- Bone density scan
- Joint aspiration to test the synovial fluid
Pain is a feeling that no one wants to experience and will do almost anything to avoid it, especially if it’s chronic. Many individuals strive to seek out the best treatments that will cause the least amount of side effects.
Prescription NSAIDS and over the counter analgesics, pain relievers, and injections are common options; however, their side effects may cause even more misery. Glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oils, along with physical therapy and lifestyle changes, have been shown to alleviate pressure on the spine. Surgery to decompress or stabilize the spine by fusing the bones together may be an option when the pain inhibits daily activities, but all these treatments may not be necessary when someone relies on the benefits of CBD oil. It is highly effective without the plethora of reported negative issues attached to other common treatments. CBD oil can diminish pain and inflammation.
How does CBD oil work?
All vertebrates have an endocannabinoid system (ECS). It maintains and balances the body’s internal environment to keep it healthy as it adapts to the outside environment. Endocannabinoids naturally occur in the body and react with receptors in the ECS to establish balance by generating a cellular response in the various systems of the body — including the digestive and immune systems, mood, temperature, inflammation, appetite, and other physical and mental functions. CBD is a phytocannabinoid found in the cannabis plant, which binds to the receptors to create the same results as if it were an endocannabinoid that were doing the job. CBD, from the hemp plant, is only recently being recognized as a highly effective form of treatment for a vast array of chronic and acute ailments.
Infection and injury cause the body to protect itself with Inflammation. Chronic inflammation has been proven to be the basis of many diseases whose causes were unknown, like osteoarthritis. ECS receptors are activated by CBD oils, relieving the inflammation causing the issue and the pain that coincides with it. It’s best to use only a small amount at first and work up to the level that produces the desired outcomes, as people need varying levels to achieve results. Various forms of CBD oil exist and offer different benefits:
- Oils and tinctures taken sublingually
- Topicals (lotions, creams, lip balms)
- Vaping pens
Being aware of the components we put into our bodies is crucial to short and long-term health. They are not regulated by the FDA, so some unethical companies attempt to sell inferior products. Let’s decipher how to avoid buying something that is only a waste of money. Some guidelines to follow when searching for organic CBD oils include:
- Organic sourcing
- Disreputable businesses offer CBD oil that contains harmful pesticides and herbicides infused through the farming process, and solvent residue from processing.
- Third-party testing
- The transparency of a company is important so only use one that offers the results of third-party test labs who have no investment in the outcome.
- Full spectrum CBD oils vs isolates
- Full spectrum is considered more effective than CBD isolate because they produce the sought-after entourage effect, which is created when the various cannabinoids work together to produce a more comprehensive effect on the body’s systems.
As people get older, they sometimes believe that their pain is just a normal part of aging. Chronic back pain and arthritis appear in over 54 million Americans, with 24 million of them experiencing physical limitations. It is the leading cause of inability to work. Whether it’s osteoarthritis or autoimmune related, symptoms can be alleviated by an impressive amount using CBD oil. After hundreds of studies, and more to come, CBD oil offers impeccable results for someone suffering from arthritic back and joint pain. Many have found that they can get their lives back and perform normal daily activities, all while avoiding negative side effects, with the use of the all-natural alternative to harsh treatments, CBD oil.