All people with uteri and vaginas know that the menstrual period can be a tedious, uncomfortable, and a sometimes-painful process. There are many “bad period” remedies that can range from something simplistic, like a heating pad, to more extreme measures, like birth control. People who experience menstruation don’t have to live in constant fear of their next cycle or the side effects of prescription medication with the usage of CBD oil.
What is menstruation?
A menstrual period consists of vaginal bleeding that occurring regularly, on the average, women experience it every 28 days. During the beginning, the uterus is preparing itself for a possible pregnancy by thickening the uterine lining as the ovaries release an egg that is ready to be fertilized. If the egg fails to become fertilized, the body will continue through the planned cycle and shed the uterine lining it had created. The average cycle lasting between 24 to 38 days, people with uteri should be on the lookout for symptoms that can signal different phases of the menstrual cycle.
What are common symptoms of menstruation?
The menstrual cycle is not without its fair share of complications. 90% of people who menstruate have reported experiencing symptoms along with the different phases of their cycles. 32% to 40% of individuals have reported feeling the need to miss work or school due to severe pain directly related to their period. The most common symptoms occurring before or during can include:
- Tender breasts– Breasts can be sensitive to touch and movement or can be accompanied by a constant ache.
- Bloating– The body will typically hold in more fluid during menstruation, causing one to bloat in various places.
- Muscle aches– Muscles can experience tenderness and soreness along with cramping.
- Joint pain
- Acne– Acne can spring up more frequently from the increased production of hormones being released into the body.
- Abdominal cramps– Cramping is an extremely common symptom of menstruation due to the restricting muscles needed to push the old uterine lining from the uterus.
- Back pain
People who experience menstruation may also face premenstrual symptoms (PMS) which can include all of the above symptoms along with mood swings, irritability, food cravings, and other emotion-based changes.
How can CBD oil help relieve menstrual symptoms?
The use of cannabis to treat menstrual symptoms can be dated all the way back to the 16th century. Though CBD is found in cannabis, it is usually overshadowed by its sister component, THC. CBD oil is free of THC after being extracted from the cannabis plant and can pose just as many benefits to someone suffering from their menstrual period. Cannabinoids, or CBD, acts the same as naturally occurring endocannabinoids when introduced into the human body, providing many benefits. If someone is searching for an all-natural remedy for symptoms to their period pains, CBD oil is the perfect place to start. Without providing the controversial psychoactive effects found in THC, CBD oil can provide all the benefits the cannabis plant has to offer while keeping one lucid. Some ways CBD oil can help:
- Mood Control– CBD oil can help regulate the hormones that cause the well-known mood swings associated with PMS.
- Stress and Anxiety– In addition to mood swings, CBD oil has a calming effect associated with its consumption, and it can efficiently calm someone suffering from over-active stress and anxiousness due to the hormone spike of the menstrual period.
- Cramping– While both improving digestive functions to stop stomach cramps, CBD oil can also help the uterine lining shed easier and block the pain typically accompanying a period.
- Bloating– CBD oil can improve how the body processes food and water, helping combat the bloating that comes with the period.
- Insomnia– CBD oil’s well-known calming affect can greatly improve the circadian rhythm and help combat insomnia during the menstrual cycle.
What is an irregular period?
No two periods are the same, and there are plenty of people who experience irregular periods, which are periods that do not fall within the aforementioned cyclical average. So, what makes a period irregular? Someone may be experiencing an abnormal menstrual period if the time between each period fluctuates much, they lose more or less blood than usual, or the number of days the menstrual period lasts varies drastically. There are many reasons why an individual may experience an irregular cycle, some of which may include:
- Being over or under weight
- Birth control, regardless of form
- Pregnancy or breast feeding after birth
- Over or under active thyroid
- Thickening of the uterine lining
- Poor menstrual hygiene
- A multitude of uterine or ovarian diseases that come with other symptoms
People who think that they may be experiencing an irregular period, may eventually decide that it is time to see a health professional about what measures they can take to make return their body to working in an optimal manner. CBD oil can help the body regain some of its balance, whether in taken in addition to a preexisting medication or in place of, it may even out the menstrual cycle. It is always important to consult a medical professional when experiencing any concerning symptoms, but there is so much that CBD oil can do to help one’s body when it comes to maintain the natural process of menstruation.
Those who are in search of an all-natural relief to period symptoms, they should try out CBD oil. Legal in all states, CBD oil is legally allowed only 0.3% of THC concentration, which is virtually invisible during consumption. CBD oil has only started to gain funding for research in the past couple of decades due to the stigma surrounding the cannabis plant, but since then it has been shown time and again how truly beneficial CBD oil can be to people for a variety of maladies. Although each body reacts differently to the introduction of CBD oil, there is no lack of testimonials from period-havers on how CBD oil has changed the positive changes that they experienced regarding their cycle. If someone is experiencing unsavory period symptoms, CBD oil can be the first stop to making their monthly cycle as easy and pain free as possible.